JSE Bursary Application Forms – The Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) Empowerment Fund offers bursaries to deserving students. The JSE believes that it is important for the sustainable development of the financial services industry that significant focus and financial support is given to identifying and supporting promising black students in gaining appropriate professional qualifications and a better understanding of investment on the financial markets.The JSE Empowerment Fund (JEF) aims to provide financial assistance for education initiatives targeted specifically at bringing black people into the financial services sector to meet the above objectives.
JSE Bursary Application Forms Requirements
- Top performers studying a Commerce, Accounting, Computer Science, Information Technology, Financial Sciences, Economic or Mathematical Science degree
- Applications are restricted to students who are South African citizens within a designated group and who are in their 2nd or 3rd year of study with a 65% aggregate.
How to apply for JSE Bursary Application Forms
The Johannesburg Exchange & Chambers Company was established by a London businessman, Benjamin Minors Woollan and housed at the corner of Commissioner and Simmonds Streets. Out of this the JSE was born on 8 November 1887. What immediately gave the JSE a clear advantage over exchanges such as Kimberley, Barberton, and, most importantly, London, was that listing of companies for a quotation on the Official List of the JSE was an easy and relatively cheap procedure. This relatively simple and non-restricting nature of the early Exchange promoted a wave of initial registrations on the Official List, with 68 companies by the end of November 1887. The Official List further expanded to more than 300 companies by the end of January 1890.
By 1890 the trading hall became too small and had to be rebuilt but this too was outgrown. Trading then moved into the street. The Mining Commissioner closed off Simmonds Street between Market Square and Commissioner Street by means of chains.
In 1903, a new building was built for the JSE on Hollard Street. It was a storey building that took up an entire whole city block bounded by Fox and Main, Hollard and Sauer Streets.