Bursary Information and How To Get Bursary Application Forms – SA Bursaries 2019

By | January 11, 2018

What is a bursary?

Bursary is monetary awards provided by organisations to people who are unable to fully fund their studies. In exchange for a bursary, the individual is generally employed at the organisation for the equal amount of time as the bursary.

Who can apply for a bursary?

To be awarded a bursary, parents are generally required to complete an application form, providing details of their financial situation, followed by documentary evidence and proof of any capital assets.
There are 2 variations of bursaries, provided by organisations and study institutions:
1) A means-tested bursary which evaluates whether an applicant or their family is allowed to receive government assistance. This bursary type is available for students of parents who earn below an annual threshold amount.
2) Scholarship/ Prize – this bursary type is performance-based and is usually awarded to students who receive high results in their exams prior to college/ university entrance. These bursaries are mainly awarded by the study institution/ by organisations.

How do I apply for a bursary?

1) Scroll down and find the faculty within which you will be studying and select the bursary you would like to apply for.
2) Read the bursary requirements and see if you qualify.
3) If you meet the bursary requirements, apply for the bursary by either downloading the application form or visiting the link provided. If you are still unsure, please contact the bursary provider via the provided contact details.

Bursaries Available

Latest bursary application forms available here

How to apply for a bursary?

Before applying you should have decided which course you want to study and at which public university/TVET college. You will need to select these choices in the application form.
Make sure you have electronic (and certified copies) of the following:
  • Your South African identity document/card or, an unabridged birth certificate
  • IDs of parents and/or guardian (or death certificate where applicable)
  • IDs of each person living with you in your home
  • Pay advice/letter of employment/pension advice (not older than three months)
  • Please download the consent form and fill it in with your parent/guardian’s signatures. Applications without a consent form that is signed by all people whose incomes have been declared in the application will not be accepted, and will be considered as incomplete.
  • If you have a disability, please download the Disability Annexure A and fill it in

When you provide your cell phone number on the application form, make sure it works and please do not change it afterwards, as NSFAS will use it to communicate with you during and after the application process. Please do not provide someone else’s cell phone number as your contact number.

You will also need an email address. If you do not have an email address, you can easily create a gmail address, by clicking here. 

Students wishing to undertake other postgraduate qualifications MUST NOT apply. These students will need to apply to the NRF when they open their applications later this year. Click here for more information